Friday, June 14, 2013

T minus 22 weeks, Boats and such

M,W,Sat 15 miles total.

Saturday I went for a long run (9 miles) on hutchinson island, site of a previous post involving  flies and spiders. This time around the bugs were in full force, landing on my head while I was running and biting me whenever I stopped flailing my limbs like a  lunatic. Spiders were less prevelant as the Sasquatching through the woods part was minimal.

I recently bought a handheld chums bottle because it was on sale at The Clymb (email me for an invite so I can get free stuff doodz). Wasn't sure how I would like it, but decided to give it a try. It was great. The extra weight is negligible and on hot days like today, having water makes the run a lot more enjoyable.




Saw two gigantic cargo ships. Again, pictures don't do justice to these. Each of the containers is as large as a semi truck trailer. It's always shocking to see these things gliding up the river because you'll pop out of the trees and there will be a gigantic skyscraper-high ship in front of you that is remarkably quiet.

I settled on an electrolyte supplement (aka dirt from The Great Salt Lake) that includes trace minerals. I figure I'm deficient in something after so much sweating, so I'll go with the shotgun approach. I have a hunch that I have been running deficient in most electrolytes, because I prefer water and sweat like a hog. Some electrolytes, like potassium, are not quickly replenished either, so I reckon it may take some time to get back to normal. Interested to see if this makes a noticeable difference in my energy and/or endurance level. I've been lethargic and sluggish on runs for a long time now (years). Carbs help, but I haven't gotten back to my old spastic energy levels.



I also ran over the Talmadge bridge, one of the few places in Savannah besides stairs where one can experience what is known colloquially as "elevation change" The bridge is named after Eugene Talmadge, a former Georgia governor who supported segregation. The Georgia legislature is debating changing the name because of this. I would prefer it be called "the large cable-suspended bridge visible from various parts of Savannah extending from Georgia to South Carolina, under which pass numerous large cargo ships."






No comments:

Post a Comment