Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Silent, but deadly

Treading lightly is a necessity in my quest to avoid continual injury. At times I forget how quiet running lightly is and I accidentally sneak up on folks. Usually this is humorous and benign. When I see cats in my path pawing at some festering bag of hamburger trash, I'll silently approach and stomp directly behind the feline, disrupting it's feast. The result would make an instant youtube viral video.

Unfortunately, Savannah's residents don't always share my jovial outlook on this ocurrence. Take the other night-it's after 11:00 PM and I'm running down the street briskly and silently, thinking about the complexities of existence, not considering the man that I am fast approaching from behind. Judging by his attire, he might have been accustomed to people running up quickly behind him late at night for reasons other than jogging. As I realized the peril of this situation, it was too late to prevent an unsavory encounter. All I could do was swing out to his left slightly. As I did so, his fist pulled back like an archer ready to fire and he exclaimed "OH SH...." Indeed. I chose the flight option in my sympathetic response and hastened my pace.

I plan to start running in the morning once it gets too hot to run at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment